by Tiffany Pryce
Hi friends! Tiffany here with a simple and fun design using one of my favorite mediums - pigment powder! I chose to play along with this month's challenge so I wanted to use warm colors to mimic a beautiful, summer sky at sunset.
On heavy, watercolor paper, I sprinkled some yellow pigment powder and sprayed it liberally with clean water. I love watching the pigment powder burst with color upon contact with water. I used a watercolor brush to move the color around and add a little more texture to the panel. I repeated these steps several times with 3 more colors - orange, red, and purple. I went back and forth with the colors, splattered the watercolor, and mixed the colors for additional interest. There is no right or wrong way to do this, just let loose and have fun! I set the panel aside to dry for a long time before moving on to the next steps. I deepened the color here and there even after it was initially dry until I achieved my desired intensity.
Once my panel was done and completely dry, I trimmed it down to an A2 size. Then I cut the panel into five pieces with the Whittle Cloud Border die. With leftover scraps of watercolored paper, I also die cut several clouds using the Whittle Clouds die. I made sure to die cut clouds in multiple colors.
After die cutting all of my clouds, I started to assemble my card front. On a piece of white copy paper that I trimmed to an A2 size, I adhered the cloud pieces. It was like a puzzle which was fun to do. I varied how I adhered the panels - some were adhered directly to the base with liquid glue, others with a layer or two of foam tape. I liked the background having layers and dimension to give the card additional interest. Once the background was assembled, I added several small clouds in various colors around the panel as embellishments. Lastly, I splattered metallic, gold watercolor paint all over the panel for some sparkle.
For the sentiment, I used the Luscious Script Hello die. I cut the shadow layer from vellum and the sentiment from light gold foil from the Polished Foil paper pad. I added a little dimension to the die cut by cutting the sentiment again in white and adhering it behind the vellum shadow layer. This is a trick that I learned that helps raise the vellum off the card base thus making it slightly more opaque. I finished with a final small cloud adhered with foam tape on the sentiment, and that's it!
Hope you enjoyed my card and found some inspiration. Until next time, happy crafting!